The Lottery Multiple Choice Test Questions
1. What does the village look like on the morning of the lottery?
(a) It is gloomy and cold looking with gray houses.
(b) It is in the sun with neat houses, green lawns, and flowers everywhere.
(c) It is very metropolitan with shiny glass commercial buildings.
(d) It is dusty and dry with the paint peeling off the houses.
2. How many people live in the village?
(a) Just under 1,000.
(b) Less than 100.
(d) About 300.
3. Why are people gathering in the town square?
(a) They are voting whether to discontinue the lottery.
(b) The mayor is making a speech.
(c) There is a band concert that morning.
(d) It is the annual lottery day.
4. Why are the children running around that morning?
(a) Lottery Day is a school holiday.
(b) It is Saturday and there is no school.
(c) Lottery Day is a special holiday for children.
(d) The teachers are in the lottery so they come to see them.
180 multiple choice questions for The Lottery that test students' recall and understanding of the work.
The Lottery Test | Final Test – Easy
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Graves carry onto the village square?
(a) A trumpet to begin the ceremony.
(b) An American flag.
(c) A three-legged stool.
(d) A roster of the village people.
2. How does Jackson suggest that tradition may be questioned?
(a) A lot about the lottery has been forgotten.
(b) Some people oppose the lottery and some villages have already stopped it.
(c) Old man Warner compares it to the Stone Age.
(d) The village is getting smaller so tradition may die out.
3. What is the date of the lottery?
(a) June 27th
(b) April 1st
(c) July 4th
(d) February 2nd
4. What does Mrs. Dunbar hold in her hands?
(a) More moderate stones than Mrs. Delacroix.
(b) A bag full of small stones.
(c) The Hutchinson baby.
(d) A slingshot.
5. What trouble does Bobby Martin get into?
(a) He puts the stones he collected in his pocket.
(b) He does not respond to his mother’s call and his father reprimands him.
(c) He gets his clean clothes all dirty and has to go home and change.
(d) He gets in a fight with another boy and has a bloody nose.
6. How long has the lottery been going on?
(a) Over several generations.
(b) Since before people arrived from Europe.
(c) Since the Pilgrims.
(d) For the last five years.
7. Who was the last to arrive at the lottery?
(a) Tessie Hutchinson.
(b) Mrs. Graves.
(c) Mrs. Summers.
(d) Mrs. Martin.
8. Who helps hold the box to keep it steady?
(a) The mayor and the chief of police.
(b) Several of the larger boys.
(c) Mr. Martin and his son.
(d) Mr. Graves and Mr. Summers.
9. What is the traditional job of the village boys on Lottery Day?
(a) They form an honor guard for the lottery box.
(b) They collect stones and bring them to the town square.
(c) They keep the younger children off the grass.
(d) They play an exhibition football game before the lottery.
10. What sound is heard as the papers are opened?
(a) The women speaking all at once.
(b) The school marching band.
(c) Nothing. It is very quiet.
(d) A collective sigh.
11. What is revealing about the social order of the village?
(a) The men and women are not together.
(b) The children and running around unsupervised.
(c) The men are drinking ale.
(d) The women hold a superior position.
12. What does Tessie do with her paper?
(a) She runs around showing it to all the women.
(b) She puts it in her purse.
(c) She holds it behind her back.
(d) She looks at it and is dissapointed that hers is not the one.
13. Why can Clyde Dunbar not draw for his family?
(a) He is in the military.
(b) He is at home with a broken leg.
(c) He is on duty as fireman.
(d) He is in the hospital.
14. What does Jackson hint in the story when Tessie is very late arriving?
(a) That Tessie is a scatter brain.
(b) That Tessie is not originally from the village.
(c) That Tessie is always late for everything.
(d) That Tessie has a premonition of something bad.
15. What type of story is THE LOTTERY?
(a) A history.
(b) A satire.
(c) A drama.
(d) A comedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the women doing before the lottery?
2. Who will participate in the ritual?
3. What does Tessie’s paper mean?
4. Which man holds the winning paper?
5. How do they list the villagers before the lottery begins?
Pre-made tests on The Lottery Final Test – Easy, including multiple choice, short answer, short essay, and in-depth essay questions.